pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Zesty Seitan Picatta


I've only made seitan homemade three times, so  I've not yet mastered or beaten it into submission...so my "cutlets" probably look more like fillets.  I'm fine with it.  I learn best when I struggle, so I took the LONG way (like I usually do), and used a non-veg recipe for reference.  It tasted very good! The only thing I'd change is the amount of lemon, as much as I do love lemon .  I'm thinking the original recipe (non-veg), called for so much lemon to cover up the taste of cruelty. *wink*   How exactly does one disguise the lonely, bitter taste of rotting in a veal crate...or a chicken having it's beak seared off?  Hmmm...
I made a simple homemade seitan dough, braised it, seasoned and coated it in Panko crumbs.  I then pan seared it for a few minutes on each side.  I  transferred the "cutlets" to the oven at 400 degrees F, and baked for 5 min on each side.   I also made a sauce using lemon and a little white wine & vegan margarine.  My photo didn't do it justice.   My 5yr old was impressed!  She put down her peanut butter and jelly sandwich and said the broccoli was THE BEST she'd ever had.  (I just cooked it on the stove with a bit of garlic and olive oil).  She's my toughest critic, so just for her to say the seitan was great, and that she thinks I am the BESTEST mommy cook ever...is good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment